Countries all over the world have old age traditions for telling the future. It can involve the use of tarot cards, planet readings, or rune stones. Some people take the predictions seriously and others view it as something fun but nothing to lead your life by.
In Turkey, a popular method to tell the future is Turkish coffee cup readings.
Turkish Coffee and Fortune Telling
I have never had my fortune told by using Turkish coffee. The simple reason is that I do not drink it. I have friends though who greatly enjoyed the whole process.
After they drunk the coffee, the cup was turned over onto the saucer. After a short while, the remaining ground coffee inside the cup had dried and the translation of the symbols began.
If you want a serious reading, your future cannot be told by just anyone. It has to be someone who thoroughly understands the meanings and symbols. It is not usual for female generations of a family to hand down the skill.
Using Turkish coffee to tell the future is also known as Tasseography although scientific research dedicates that there is no basis or sound theory concerning the results.
Other important parts to the method involve only drinking the coffee from one side of the cup and placing a coin on the top to dispel bad omens.
If the cup and saucer stick, it is said that the fortune should not be told as that person has luck on their side and it must not be broken
Turkish Coffee Meanings and Symbols
The ability to see the symbols does not come easily to everyone. In deed when I have looked at the bottom of a cup, I see nothing apart from dried Turkish coffee.
Some Turks see much more and even go on to become professional fortune-tellers. I can give you a basic guide to the meanings however I am not an expert so please do not rely on these translations if you want to take it seriously!
- Symbols in the lower half of the cup refer to the past while the top half refers to the future
- Symbols on the right hand side are positive while the left is negative events such as illness
- Symbols on the saucer refer to that person’s domestic and home life.
There are many symbols with meanings but a few are
- Round circle: Your fate is wide open to the elements of life. Expect a major change such as wedding plans or a career move
- Three dots is the beginning of a new friendship
- The rays of the sun are a fulfilment of your greatest desires
- A Y shape is unexpected meetings with good friends
- An eye could indicate jealousy or an admirer
- A bird indicates an unexpected gift is headed your way
- A flower is a sign that your wishes will come true.
Readers Question: Have you had your fortune told using Turkish coffee?
Treasures of Turkey
See the best of what Turkey has to offer on this tour which will take you to all the highlights including Istanbul, Cappadocia, Ephesus and Pamukkale. Learn More…